Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First illness of the new school year.

Every year, it is inevitable, that one of my kids, usually my youngest, is going to come home from school with some type of virus that he was exposed to at school. Well, we are only 2 weeks into the school year and it has already started.
My youngest wasn't feeling well on Monday, so we kept him home from school. Yesterday, he went to school, only to have the nurse send him home with a fever. The new criteria for children with  fevers has gotten very strict since the Swine Flu outbreak. Now, if a student is sent home with a fever, they are not allowed to come into school the next day. They must be fever free for 24 hours. Today, my oldest son, who rarely gets sick, came to me this morning after vomitting and not feeling well.
How does this relate to me and fbromyalgia. Any time I am exposed to any type of virus, I feel worse than I would on a regular flair up.
Today, I feel horrible. I have been in extreme pain all day. Deep muscle pain, joint pain, pain in my back and neck, burning sensation on my skin, upset stomach, profuse sweating, weakness and fatigue. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the illness that my kids have or not. It is also a gray, dreary, chilly, rainy day here, and this is a prime recipe for a flair up.
I have spent most of my day on the sofa, dozing in and out. My husband came home from work this morning and made a pot of homemade chicken soup since everyone is sick. My stomach is so upset that I can't even tolerate drinking the broth.
My hands hurt and are shaking so much, that I am having trouble typing this post. I have to keep going back to correct errors.
It is very common for someone with fibromyalgia to feel worse than a healthy person when exposed to a virus. Not only do you have to deal with the symptoms of the virus, but it usually activates a fibro-flair as well.
I am hoping to find some relief tonite by soaking in a hot tub and then trying to go to bed as early as possible. Although I doubt very much I will sleep all the way through the night, I usually sleep for about 2 hours at a time and find it hard to fall back to sleep right away.
Hopefully, this is a short lived bug, if that is the problem.

Soft Hugs to All,
Laurie D.

No comments:

Post a Comment