Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chronic Fatigue, headaches, and hunger.

This has been an odd day for me. Like most fibromites, I suffer from the oxymoron of being an insomniac with chronic fatigue. A usual day for me consists of not being able to fall asleep, waking frequently during the night when I do fall asleep, and feel very fatigued through out the day. I generally will take a short nap during the afternoon.
Headaches: I used to suffer from extremely severe migraine headaches. It reached a point where I needed to be hospitalized after recieving occipital nerve blocks that did not work. While in the hospital, I went through 4 days of recieving a series of Hydroergotomine treatments. An IV is put in your arm, and every 10 hours you recieve 3 medications. Benadryl, (I can't remember what the second drip was), and then the Hydroergotomine. This worked wonders. I have not had as many migraines, and the ones I have had have not been as severe as the ones in the past. And, the few I do get are easily treated.
Hunger: Normally, since my fibro has gotten worse, I can't stand the smell of food, the taste of food, and I have had little to no appetite. Also, migraines make me nauseas, so I never feel like eating when I have one. I usually can't keep any food down when I have a migraine. Making this symptom that much stranger.
Why am I giving you this background? I want to show you what I am normally like, to show you why this has been an odd day.
As far as my insomnia and chronic fatigue, I have not been able to keep my eyes open for most of the day. All I want to do is sleep. Thank God, my husband and youngest son were on a boyscout trip, and my oldest son is away for the weekend. I was able to just go to bed and sleep all day. Only to get up to use the bathroom.
This is where the headaches and hunger come in. When I wake up, I've had fierce migraine headaches, and taking my medication for them, is barely touching them. I am also EXTREMELY hungry. I feel like I can't get enough to eat. Since I am trying to lose weight, I am making sure I eat things like granola bars with fiber, a cup of yogurt, or whole grain cereal.
I have no idea why the change in my system. I'm certainly not complaining about being able to sleep, God knows I need it. But, I could do without the migraine and the fierce appetite.
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. If you have, please comment and let me know. Perhaps you've figured out why the change has occurred, and what you have done for the headaches and the hunger.
Please, any input would be more than welcome.
Soft Hugs to All,
Laurie D.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Boy! Can I ever relate to this!! I also have migraines, but not nearly as bad as yours. I also can be hungry and nauseous at the same time....and I seriously thought I was the only one for that! Fatigue is a killer, and I nap most afternoons and spend most nights awake due to pain....if I can fall asleep at all.
    Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete