Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Medical problems and a lousy doc.

Hello
I still feel like I am alone and lost. Puppy is still by my side though. ALL the time. At least I have her, but when she wants to exercise, she wants me to play fetch with her for hours. I sometimes have to hide the little stuffed pumpkin from her, she responds when we tell her to "get the mouse" because it all started with a patch of fur from a deer tail that looked like a mouse.
I have learned some more about the condition that put me in the hospital that I "really" didn't want or need to know.  The main concern was my abnormal EKG. It had "prolongation of the QT" I had no idea what that was, or what that meant until yesterday when I talked to my health coach. She explained it this way.  The lines on an EKG are lettered P,Q,R,S,AND T.  Q and T fire electrical impulses that regulate your heart beat. When the distance between Q and T are at a normal range, Q fires to let the heart know to beat taking blood in, and T fires to let it know to let blood out. When the distance from Q to T are prolongated, they are too far apart, so Q fires, the heart lets blood in and it is waiting for T to fire but it isn't. The heart gets confused and starts to beat abnormally, then T fires too late and it is too close to the time for Q to fire again. Because of this it creates a "chaoitic" heart beat. I know, that was long and boring but it is how they explained it to me. The biggest problem with this is there are no early symptoms and sometimes no symptoms at all. I went into the hospital feeling sick and had left sided pain and numbness. This had nothing to do with the problem. I was told that it could happen at anytime, no warning. It can be brought on by food, electrolyte imbalance, stress and exertion. It could cause dizzyness, lightheadedness, fainting, becoming unconscious, and even sudden death. Thank you Keystone for telling me that last one! I'm depressed enough. I think the worst part for me. My husband either doesn't understand the seriousess of this, he is just blowing me off, or in deep denial. I am not getting any response or help from him. I am scared. At least until I see the cardiologist again and find out what exactly is causing this and if there is anything we can do about it.
This morning I went to see my primary doctor to ask her to do a thyroid function on me. First, she argued with me that she felt I didn't need one. I had one a year ago and it was normal. WELL, circumstances have changed over the past year. I have a strong family history of Thyroid disease, my potassium levels keep dropping, and I am gaining weight at an unbelievable rate.
She then argued with me that the EKG issue is no longer an issue. I told her that my last EKG (2 weeks ago at my cardiologists) was borderling. Normal/Abnormal and anything could have caused it to go either way. She still argued that because her EKG in Sept was normal. OK, I am getting a little steamed. Keeping my cool though. When the topic of my Fibro came up, that is when the steam came. I have been seeing her for more than a year. Today she says to me, "Honestly. I don't believe Fibromyalgia is a real entity. People who claim to have it just need psychotherapy and so do the doctors who diagnose it" Needless to say, I will be finding a new doc when my insurance changes in January.
It did shed some light on why she is so abrupt with me and is in and out of the room with me like a flash. It also explains why she refuses to fill out any forms from my disability insurance. I need to find a doc in my area that believes in fibro, and knows all that goes with it.
My life is falling apart around me, and now I get this from my doctor. I have so many things, I will talk about them another time.
I feel like I do nothing but complain. I hate to talk to people and I am sure people hate to listen to me. For the past 1/2 hour or so, I have felt sick to my stomach, lightheaded, hotflashes and sweats, and chest pain. I told my husband and his response was "I don't know what to tell you" as he walked out the door to work on his car.
I gotta go.
TTYL
Soft Hugs to All
Laurie D

No comments:

Post a Comment